Renowned Indian internationalCricketer Suresh Raina comes forward to support blood cancer patients

Renowned Indian internationalCricketer Suresh Rainacomes forward to support blood cancer patients Cricketerappealed to all Indians to register as potential blood stem cell donor via avideo appeal ,

2021:After representing India for over 13years, former cricketer Suresh Raina known for his aggressive battingand excellentfielding skills has come forward to raise awareness about the growing burden ofblood cancer in India. He has joined hands with DKMS BMST Foundation India, anon-profit organization dedicated to the fight against blood cancer and otherblood disorders such as Thalassemia and Aplastic Anemia.India ranks third highest in reported cases of hematologicalcancers in the world with over 70 thousand people deaths per year and over 1lakh people are diagnosed with a form of blood cancer or blood disorders. Butthese patients can get a second chance at life through a stem cell transplant.After renowned celebrities like VidyaBalan, Rahul Dravid, andSonuSood, renowned cricketer Suresh Raina has shared a video appeal to raiseawareness about the cause.In his video appeal, Suresh Raina has emphasized on the bloodcancer burden in India that every 5 minutes someone is diagnosed with thecondition. And most of the patients are young patients or children who fightthese life-threatening diseases. Giving example of his personal experienceSuresh Raina has talked about how he has learned to face challenges however,there is no greater challenge that one a family has to face when their lovedone is diagnosed with a form of blood cancer. Patrick Paul, CEO, DKMS-BMST said, “a true sportsperson neverhesitates to come forward and help others, this has been proved by Mr. SureshRaina, his sportsmanship is commendable. Many patients suffering from bloodcancer and other blood disorders need a blood stem cell transplant to survive.Unfortunately, majority of patients are unable to receive a transplant due tothe unavailability of a matching blood stem cell donor.”This situation can only be changed when more and more people fromdifferent ethnicities in India are a part of the donor registry maintained byNGOs like DKMS-BMST. This can be done with a simple step of registering as ablood stem cell donor and give these patients a second chance at life.Only about 30% of the patients in need of a blood stem celltransplant can find a sibling match. The rest 70% depend on finding a matchingunrelated donor. Due to the lack of awareness about the treatment possibilitiesin India, it becomes difficult for Indian patients to find a matching bloodstem cell donor. The registrationprocess:If you’re between the age-group of 18 – 50 and in general goodhealth, take the first step to register as a blood stem cell donor by orderingyour home swab kit at http://www.dkms-bmst.org/register.All it takes isfive minutes of your time and a simple 3 step process: Step 1: Visit thesite, fill up an online form and you will receive a DIY swab kit at home. Step 2: Once youreceive the swab kit, fill out the consent form and take a tissue sample fromthe inside of your cheeks with 3 cotton swabs provided in the kit. Step 3: Send backyour swab sample in the pre-paid envelope provided.DKMS laboratorywill then analyze your tissue type and your details will be available in theglobal search for blood stem cell donors. If you do come up as a suitabledonor, DKMS-BMST will get in touch with you straight away. Once you come up asa match, blood stem cells will be obtained from the bloodstream using aprocedure called Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Collection, which is similar to ablood donation wherein only your stem cells are taken. This is a safe,non-surgical outpatient procedure.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s